Back in the day, if you were an aspiring writer you didn't have many tools at your disposal. Basically putting pen to paper was it.
As time went on, technology came along that made writing much easier. The first commercially successful typewriter was invented in 1868. Then, of course, home computers came along and changed everything for the better.
But what if you're on the go and not sitting in front of your computer when inspiration strikes? Don't worry, today's free app can help.
The Bear app is a flexible writing app for crafting notes, prose, code and even sketches.
The app allows you to link notes to each other to build a full body of work. You can use hashtags to keep things organized in a way that works for you. All notes are stored in plain, portable text.
Bear is great for writing everything from quick notes to in-depth essays. Its full in-line image support brings your writing to life and helps you stay on track by adding individual notes when needed.
Here are some of Bear's features:
- Rich previews while writing so you see prose, not code
- In-line support for images and photos
- Advanced Markup Editor - This supports and highlights over 20 programming languages
- Cross-Note Links - Use this to build an entire body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Smart Data Recognition - Works for elements like links, email addresses, colors and more
- Support for Apple Pencil and hand sketching
- Hashtags - These are used to quickly find and organize notes
Bear's tools help make writing effortless. Whether you need to reach specific word counts and reading times or convert your writing into PDF or Word docs.
The app is available for free to use on iPhone, iPad and Mac. There is also a premium edition that costs $14.99 per year that allows you to sync notes between multiple gadgets and more.