How many of you have ever emailed a file - like a photo or a document - to your Mac from your iPhone or iPad, even as you sit right in front of your Mac? Yes, I've done it too, just like nearly every other Apple user on the planet. That's probably because using email to move files around works pretty well as long as your file is small enough to be attached.
But now there's a better way to move files among your gadgets or even among your friends. When Apple released iOS 8 along with the newest desktop OSX, Yosemite, it dramatically improved and simplified the way we are able to move files around.
One great part of this function is that your Apple gadgets don't even need to be on the same network or signed into the same iCloud account to move files back and forth. That means you can also move files to a friend or co-worker. However, there is one small caveat, users need to be near each other to transfer the files.
Apple AirDrop is a built-in app that lets you seamlessly move files back and forth between nearby desktop Macs and iOS gadgets like iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. This is a quick and convenient way to transfer files from an iOS gadget to a Mac using a Bluetooth connection.
To enable AirDrop on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, swipe up on the Home screen to access the Control Panel. From here, you can set AirDrop to receive from Contacts Only, Everyone, or turn it Off.
To use AirDrop from a Mac, it is available from the Finder, the Share menu, and in Open and Save windows. When you select AirDrop, your Mac looks for nearby devices that can also use AirDrop. This includes Mac computers with OS X Lion or later installed, and iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices with iOS 7 or later.
For a comparable experience on Android, you can try the third-party app AirMore. It is the best multi-platform file transfer app for Android.
Here are some of AirMore's features:
- File Transfer - Easily transfer data, music, photos and videos between your Android gadget and PC with clicks. There is no need for cables.
- Screen Reflector - It's easy for you to reflect your Android gadget's screen to PC from AirMore Web. It's a great way to play a game on a bigger screen.
- Simple connection - Scan the QR Code on AirMore Web and get connected with ease.
- Secure transfers - AirMore makes the transfer between mobile gadgets and PC private and secure, as your approval is required for successful connection.
- Multimedia streaming - AirMore allows you to stream Android music, pictures and videos to your PC simply. Transferring is no longer necessary as you can stream media files to a large screen and share with others.
Click on the link below to download AirMore from the Google Play Store.