So you have a bunch of old film negatives and slide positives lying around. Most of us will look at them, wonder what secrets they hide and dismiss them as clutter. Savvy techies will use mobile film scanners to scan old film negatives.
With these affordable gadgets, you can quickly revive old 35mm films and slides with your smartphone camera. One of our favorite tools for the job is a compact tabletop film scanner from KODAK.
To share old photos with your friends, you just have to scan the pictures with your smartphone. Keep reading to find out how it works.
Here’s how it works
It’s not complicated at all. This tool will help you avoid the headache of professional conversation services. That means you’re saving money since going to the professionals can be expensive.
With this device, you can free yourself from heavy, bulky scanning equipment. You don’t have to deal with a messy jumble of wires, either. Speaking of which, use these five tricks to organize messy cords and cables.
Overall, this gadget is pretty easy to use. It comes with a collapsible cardboard platform and film tray. Plus, it has an LED backlight that illuminates your old images.
In four steps, you can easily scan old film negatives
Just make sure you have AA batteries. After inserting them into the scanner, follow these steps:
- First, load your film onto the tray.
- Second, open the Kodak Mobile Film Scanner app on iOS or Android.
- Using the app, line up your smartphone’s camera lens with the film scanner’s hole.
- Next, tap the screen to focus on the picture, so your image isn’t blurry.
- Finally, tap your camera app’s shutter button to capture your picture.
People seem to be very happy with this tool. One reviewer said, “For the price of this unit, it is well worth it. I had fun digitizing the slides. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and have the camera setting to the max. Works great.”
Maybe you want the specs before going ahead
We totally get it. Here are the product details:
- Weight: 8.8 ounces.
- Product dimensions: 0.61 x 0.43 x 0.16 inches.
- Material: Heavy-duty cardboard.
- Requirements: Two AA batteries.
- App compatibility: It works with Android 5 and newer models, along with iPhone 6 and newer models.
- Compatible film types: 35mm black and white film negatives, color film negatives and color slide positives.
If you’re ready to start, just tap or click the picture below.