Technology from companies like Amazon, Microsoft and Google has spoiled many of us into demanding faster, better, and more powerful gadgets. Sometimes features can be added through firmware or operating system updates.
But as time goes by, many older devices can’t keep up with the demanding requirements of new software. When that happens, the gadgets are often retired in favor of more recent systems.
When Apple’s iOS 15 was initially announced, the company revealed that iPhone 5 models and older wouldn’t be able to upgrade. That came as a bit of a shock for many. If you have an Amazon device, though, the company wants to prepare you for when your device stops receiving updates.
Here’s the backstory
Software and firmware updates aren’t just to introduce new features. They play a vital role in keeping your device safe from hackers and security flaws.
Amazon is aware of this and recently released a list of Fire TV devices that will “receive guaranteed software security updates for at least four years after the device is last available for purchase on our websites.”
That means you can buy an Amazon device and know that at least for the next four years, you’ll receive essential security updates. But even when the time comes to let it go, Amazon added that it will still try to provide updates for as long as possible.
The list spans a range of Fire TV streaming media devices, Fire TV Recast and smart TVs with Fire TV built-in. As expected, if you buy any of the current gadgets, you will receive security updates until at least 2025. The oldest device supported is the second-generation Fire TV Stick Basic Edition from 2016.
What you can do about it
Firmware updates will be rolled out to your device when they become available. There is no indication when over the next four years such updates will be released, as they are developed when threats or vulnerabilities are detected.
To manually update your Fire TV to the latest software version:
- Go to Settings on your Fire TV.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Tap About.
- Select Check for System Update.
If a new firmware update is available, it will start the downloading process. Your device might restart to make sure it is appropriately activated.
Amazon devices to receive updates
Amazon did not explain when software updates will cease for devices not earmarked for the four-year rollout plan. Here is the entire list of Amazon devices that will receive security updates until at least 2025:
- Fire TV Stick
- Basic Edition (Gen 2, 2016 Release)
- Lite (2020 Release)
- Gen 3, 2020 Release)
- Cube (Gen 2, 2019 Release)
- Fire TV Stick 4K (2018 Release)
- Fire TV Stick 4K Max streaming device, Wi-Fi 6, Alexa Voice Remote (includes TV controls)
- Recast, over-the-air DVR (2018 Release)
- Amazon Fire TV
- 43″ Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV, hands-free with Alexa
- 50″ Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV, hands-free with Alexa
- 55″ Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV, hands-free with Alexa
- 65″ Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV with Dolby Vision, hands-free with Alexa
- 75″ Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV with Dolby Vision, hands-free with Alexa
- 43″ 4-Series 4K UHD smart TV
- 50″ 4-Series 4K UHD smart TV
- 55″ 4-Series 4K UHD smart TV
Amazon manufacturing partners
- NS-24DF310NA21 24-inch Smart HD 720p TV – Fire TV
- NS-32DF310NA19 32-inch Smart HD TV – Fire TV
- NS-39DF310NA21 39-inch Smart HD 720p TV – Fire TV
- NS-43DF710NA21 43-inch Smart 4K UHD – Fire TV, Released 2020
- NS-50DF710NA21 50-inch Smart 4K UHD – Fire TV, Released 2020
- NS-55DF710NA21 55-inch Smart 4K UHD – Fire TV, Released 2020
- NS-55F501NA22 55-inch F50 Series Smart 4K UHD QLED Fire TV, Released 2021
- NS-65F501NA22 65-inch F50 Series Smart 4K UHD QLED Fire TV, Released 2021
- Pioneer – 43-inch PN43951-22U LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV
- Pioneer – 50-inch PN50951-22U LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV
- 32LF221U21 32-inch Smart HD 720p TV – Fire TV, Released 2020
- 43LF421U21 43-inch Smart HD 1080p TV – Fire TV, Released 2020
- 43LF621U21 43-inch Smart 4K UHD with Dolby Vision – Fire TV, Released 2020
- 50LF621U21 50-inch Smart 4K UHD with Dolby Vision – Fire TV, Released 2020
- 43-inch 43C350KU C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV, Released 2021
- 50-inch 50C350KU C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV, Released 2021
- 55-inch 55C350KU C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV, Released 2021
- 65-inch 65C350KU C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV, Released 2021
- 75-inch 75C350KU C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV, Released 2021
- Nebula Soundbar – Fire TV Edition
- TCL Alto 8+ 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Built-In Subwoofer – Fire TV Edition
Warning: Charging powerbanks sold at Amazon, Best Buy and Target recalled for fire risk
Amazon scams are running rampant – Red flags to spot the biggest oneWe may receive a commission when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.