Leave a comment

Missing some money?

Missing some money?

Like me, you probably watch your money carefully. After all, you worked hard to earn it. You don't want it to just slip through your fingers.


Still, there may be money that you forgot about. Maybe a utility didn't return a security deposit when you moved. Or maybe your insurance company issued a refund.

What happens when a company can't return money to you? Your state's treasurer will hold it indefinitely. All you need to do is claim it!

Unclaimed property includes savings or checking accounts, stocks, un-cashed dividends or payroll checks, refunds, traveler's checks, trust distributions, un-redeemed money orders or gift certificates (in some states), insurance payments or refunds and life insurance policies, annuities, certificates of deposit, customer over payments, utility security deposits, mineral royalty payments, and contents of safe deposit boxes.

Of course, before you claim the money, you need to find it. The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators will help you locate unclaimed money in your name.

You'll need to check with your current state and states where you've lived in the past. The method for claiming the money varies from state to state. Be prepared to prove your identity. You may also need to prove that you lived at a particular address.

I've recommended this site in the past. One reader found $420. And one of my employees discovered $100. So, even if you're sure you don't have unclaimed funds, check anyway. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Note: This site is completely free. If you come across a site that says you have to pay to find unclaimed money, you've clicked an ad or wrong link somewhere. Do not pay!

Explore like a time traveler - using photo memories
Previous Cool Site

Explore like a time traveler - using photo memories

Rent a phone for world travel
Next Cool Site

Rent a phone for world travel

View Comments ()